Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Taylors Leaving Virginia

In my post yesterday I mentioned Weitzal Wright and William Taylor and families trekking to Washington from MN after leaving Virginia. I have a tendency to think of this as a Wright migration when in fact it was a Taylor migration. I don't know as much as I should about the children of William and Dicey Hill Taylor. There is much more data available than what I have followed; it takes time to research and get familiar with the details. So I have not looked as deeply into this part of the family as I would like - yet. On Ancestry.com and other Internet sources I have seen as many as 10 children for William and Dicey. I am rather sure about 8 of them but 2 I am not sure about. I have seen listed both Sarah and Sally. Since my great great great grandmother Sarah also went by Sally, I am not convinced there was another Sally amongst the children. The other "iffy" one for me is Roxey Ann Taylor only because I personally do not have any information about her even a year of birth. The rest, though I am quite convinced they existed. Charles, Nancy, Elizabeth, Sarah, David and John T. all went to Minnesota with their parents. spouses and children after the Civil War. Of the remaining two Mary Polly (Polly may have been her nickname as Polly was often used for the given name of Mary) and Alexander did not go with them to Meeker County MN. Mary was married to  William Jonathan Yates. Yates is another name that seems to come up in the Wise County Virginia history. Alexander married  Mary Jane Wright who was the niece of Jasper and Weitzal, the husbands of Alexander's sisters Sarah and Elizabeth. Mary Jane was the daughter of Aaron Wright and Isabelle Deaton. Okay so this is one of those crossings of the family tree with the Wrights, Hills and Taylors. There will be more.

When the family travelled on to Washington, Nancy (married to Thomas Jefferson Hutchins) and Elizabeth  (married to Jasper Wright) and their families did not go with the rest of the Taylors. Charles Barnett, David, John T. and Sarah (Wright) all went with their father William to the west settling first in Kittitas County Washington and then many dispersing out in the west from there. William mentioned traveling west with Taylors, Wrights and Boices*. The Boices were the family of Weitzal and Sarah's oldest daughter Dicey Wright, so technically he only traveled out west with the families of his children, all Taylor descendents.

*Gretchen sent to me a copy of  "MY RECORD OF THE WM TAYLOR STORY IS THIS:
WRITTEN BY CHUCK TAYLOR (GREAT GRANDSON)" . In my brother's genealogy notes (Patrick Oren Killin) I found some parts of this record that he had transcribed; I have no idea who his source was for this information.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much Gretchen for sending me the following information. The main reason for doing this blog is to take all of the bits and pieces of information I have gathered and try to make sense of them. Having wonderful cousins like you add and correct is a blessing. Hope others will join in.


    Korolyn,

    I was reading your blog. I wanted to let you know that Roxey Ann Taylor Mc Entire, was Charles and Mary Ann Rose Taylor's daughter. Sarah/Sally is the same person as is Mary/Polly. John had no middle name. He took the initial T., because where he lived in Cle Elum, there was another John Taylor, and their mail kept getting mixed up, (from a Taylor grandson). Where did find the Barnett for Charles? I haven't really even seen an initial. I think I'm going to have to revisit some census records.

    In MN William lived with John and Elizabeth, John and Elizabeth decided to move to WA and as Wm lived with them and was sickly, he was taken along. He was not the one who decided to go. I was told this by my grandpa's cousins, big John's grandsons. Also when they left VA, it was around the same time as the Hutchins and all there children. That's is why when they first settled in MN, Collinwood was first called New Virginia. I think it was Jasper Wright who went to OH first, and then later on came to MN. I need to review the 1865 MN state Census for Meeker co. to see who actually was in the state at that time. Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible that Roxey Ann Taylor is Elizabeth? Seems to me that could be a nickname but then you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth married Weitzel's brother Jasper, and stayed in Meeker County, MN. Roxanna C. or Roxey Ann married David McEntire, and had one son and twelve daughters. All the daughters first names started with a M. I was told by one relative a descendant of David and Roxey's, that David had given each of the girl's a male nickname!

    ReplyDelete